The South Downs Centre and Hall Midhurst, West Sussex
The scope involved the complete refurbishment of two listed buildings in the heart of Midhurst town centre.
The project comprised the strip out and re roofing of the buildings and subsequent refurbishment of every element of both structures. This has transformed what was a dilapidated school building into a highly efficient and sustainable head office for the South Downs National Park Authority.
The Breeam score achieved was "Excellent" on the entire project. This comprised 95% refurbishment with a very small amount of new build. The building is made up of a series of different eras ranging from the 1700's to the 1960's. Attaining the score was a challenge, however the traditional approach of thermal insulation and PV enabled the necessary Breeam points to be obtained. The site is in the centre of Midhurst close to public transport routes so points relating to local services were also achievable.
Architect: Mackellar Schwedt
Engineer: Dixon Hurst Kemp
Client Agent: Parsons Brinkerhoff
The South Downs National Park Authority appointed W. Stirland to convert the grade II listed Capron House into the Authority's headquarters office building and community hub which is now known as the South Downs Centre.
South Downs National Park Authority
Form of Contract
JCT Standard Building Contract