Edwardian Building, Halls of Residence Chichester, West Sussex
The project involved the alteration and extension of the existing Edwardian school building to create an 88-room student hall of residence comprising 18 flats with associated shared facilities and parking. The building, originally constructed in 1911, was formerly Chichester High School For Girls on Stockbridge Road, Chichester and the new facilities were constructed behind the retained north and east brick façades of the old high school. An extensive and complex structural steel frame supported these facades throughout the construction works.
Architect: The Seaman Partnership
Engineer: SWP (Stephen Wilson Partnership)
Client Agent: Baqus
The main structure of the new building is traditionally built, with extensive block and brick walls. Precast planks form the new floors which are linked by precast stair units. The new facilities comprise en-suite bedrooms, kitchens, living areas and common rooms. Each single study/bedroom has an en-suite shower room containing a shower, WC and washbasin. Kitchens are shared between a number of students. There are also specialist study/bedrooms for disabled students.
This new facility is built adjacent to an earlier development of 317 student study/bedrooms in four blocks which was also constructed by us for the same client in 2012. Both halls are occupied by students from Chichester College and University of Chichester.
Newman Developments Ltd
Form of Contract
JCT 2011 Design and Build