St Andrew's CE High School for Boys Extensions, remodelling and refurbishment
Client: West Sussex County Council
Contract Value: £5.2m
Duration: 48 weeks
Procurement: Two Stage Tender within Construction & Property Framework
Contract: JCT Design & Build 2011
Procured under the West Sussex County Council Construction & Property Framework via a two-stage design & build tender, we were appointed to extend and adapt the school. The long-term proposal is for St Andrew’s to become a 8FE secondary school with 1200 pupils. This initial phase saw an expansion to 6FE, (900 pupils), accommodating an extra 140 pupils.
The works consisted of two new buildings: a performing arts block and main entrance, and a design and technology block, along with extra parking.
The school sits at the heart of a residential area bound to the south by Sackville Road, to the west by Garrick Road and the north by Congreve Road. The existing school lacked visual appeal and a dedicated main entrance and reception. The new buildings have addressed this and were built in the middle of the campus surrounding the existing buildings. There was also a small extension to the sports hall and extensive external works.
Materials used included profiled metal sheet roofing, walls of red face brickwork and render, with ’St Andrews Blue’ polyester powder-coated aluminium windows and doors.
The new buildings were formally opened on the 14th January 2016
Engineer: Miller Bourne
Client Agent: Grant Associates