The Butter Market Chichester, West Sussex
Orion Developments appointed W. Stirland with the alterations and refurbishment of The Butter Market in Chichester.
The Butter Market, originally known as Market House, was built to a design by John Nash in 1807. From that year it was illegal to sell any fresh food except in the Butter Market. A second storey was added in 1900 and at one time housed Chichester Art School. It is now an arcade of shops.
Architect: HNW Architects
Engineer: Archibald Shaw
Client Agent: Currie and Brown
The work comprised alterations and refurbishment to the existing listed building together with a new extension to the rear and new roof lights into the existing roof structure. We also provided new finishings, shop fronts and services to internal retail units and circulation areas. A new 4-person scenic lift was installed, and improvements were made to the external elevations generally.
The project was completed on budget and on time.
Form of Contract